Friday, March 25, 2011

Starbucks - Marlton, New Jersey

Marlton, NJ
Routes 70 and 73
http://www.starbuckseverywhere.net/NewJersey.htm
Before I get started, I want to say that my youngest daughter has told me that I do not add enough details or personal feelings to my blogs.  Today I will try to do better on both accounts.

I've loved Starbucks since my very first visit to a shop in Seattle, Washington in 1990.  My husband and I had taken a trip to the Seattle without the girls.  It didn't take either of us to realize that Seattle and the surrounding area "owned" the American coffee world.  It was the first time that I had ever seen roadside espresso stands.  I loved it.  We happened into the Starbucks at 1912 Pike Place, Seattle, becoming a fan right away.  When in 1994 Starbucks opened their very first shop in Houston, Texas, we would drive all the way across town just to get a Starbucks.  It wasn't until we returned from a two year stint in France that we discovered that we now had not one but two Starbucks in our own "backyard".  We were thrilled! 

Starbucks became the "carrot" for excellent school work and great test scores.  Many times when the girls were given the opportunity to pick their reward for some activity, they would choose a drink at Starbucks.  At Christmas they were excited to find a Starbucks gift card in their stocking.  My oldest daughter even ended her 16th birthday slumber party with a morning trip to Starbucks.  Starbucks, an American company, found a way into our lives while making us feel like we were a part of the Starbucks family.

With all of that being said, I've never been a big fan of the Starbucks that I visited this week.  Why does this shop not have the Starbucks name on both sides of the building?  I have over the years taken letters or books to this Starbucks and spent some time inside either at the window bar or if available in one of the comfy chairs, but I've never really liked the inside.  It is small and basically you sit right at the doors, so in the winter it can be cold and drafty.  It was with all of this in mind that I headed into this Starbucks.  Much to my surprise, things have changed.  The inside seating arrangements have been totally redone.  I headed over to the leather comfy chairs staking out one for myself.  I settled in with my green tea and stationary for my soldier's letter.  This being a busy location at the intersection of two major highways, this Starbucks has always seemed to me to be more of a quick stop in, run out kind of place with the occasional customer or group settling in for any length of time.  But today it felt different.  Several people were working on their computers and others were reading.  All seemed to stick around as long as I did.  I noticed that a bulletin board had been added.  When I checked out what was posted,  it was local news.  I'm happy about that, because I want my Starbucks to be around for a long time.  Making themselves more a member of the local community will build loyalty.  I think that slowly over the years Starbucks has become too cookie cutter, just the latest addition to the fast food kingdom.

COMFORT COMMENTS:  So many nice changes here.  The window bar is gone, which is okay with me since you were basically watching the auto traffic when seated at the bar.  Now there are eight leather over-stuffed chairs with tables and foot stools.  I loved the foot stools.  I had just come from ice skating and needed to elevate my knee.  The foot stool was perfect.  This Starbucks Coffee Shop has a very long wooden table that seats 12 at the front of the store.  I find that interesting, I would guess that it was added for traffic flow of customers.  I wonder if it is ever full.  Although I could tell that it had been used, no one used it while I was in the shop.  There were 5-6 tables with chairs along the large windows on the other side of the shop from me and a bench type seating in the back of the shop.  I loved the lighting, very modern and moody.  Nice selection of music playing.  I noticed that many times either employees or customers were singing along.

SHOP CRITIQUE:  Very clean.  Several times during the time that I was in the shop, employees cleaned and straightened the condiments tables and seating areas.  The women's restroom was clean.

EMPLOYEE COMMENTS:  I heard them having fun with each other and with customers.

PICK OF THE WEEK:  R.E.M. "Oh My Heart"

INTERESTING/ENTERTAINING WEB-SITES:
http://www.starbucks.com/
http://www.soldiersangels.org/
http://www.pikeplacemarket.org/
http://www.coffeepartyusa.com/
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Join-the-Coffee-Party-Movement-in-Washington-State/362064099762
   

3 comments:

  1. Why don't you ever put some pictures of the inside of Starbucks? Are cameras forbidden? I want to see one of these so called "comfy" chairs as I am rarely comfortable at the Starbucks I visit. Perhaps there is only one such chair there and it is always occupied.

    I have to admit I'm gravitating to the World of Starbucks. Mostly because I get their coffee free (employees get a free pound a week or something like that).

    ReplyDelete
  2. i got that song two weeks ago. marlton is behind the times.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hmm lots of changes going on. we should go here this summer

    ReplyDelete